Associate EntomologistKearney Agricultural Research & Extension Center
9240 S. Riverbend Ave.
Parlier, CA 93648
Ph.D., University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1993
Most research in the Cornel laboratory focuses on control and biology of Culex mosquitoes. Development of resistance to pesticides in disease vectors is an ongoing issue that requires a multidisciplinary approach to fully understand. Several projects are underway and they are:
- Use of chemistry/biochemistry to track metabolism or detoxification of pyrethroids in mosquitoes with the intention of developing more sensitive and selective assays than what is current available for detecting and monitoring enzyme mediated pyrethroid resistance.
- Developing polytene chromosome maps and examining chromosomal rearrangements between members of the Cx. pipiens complex members. Our intention is to use polytenes as population genetic tools to, investigate gene flow between members of the Cx. pipiens complex, and to physically locate genes of interest by in situ hybridization. Other population genetic markers such as microsatellites and mitochondrial DNA are being used to complement polytene chromosomes so that eventually we will be able to make predictions about dispersal and spread of insecticide resistance genes amongst the complex members and develop insecticide resistance management strategies.
- GIS technology and assays and results developed and obtained from the above two projects are being integrated to examine linkage between agricultural pesticide usage and selection of insecticide resistance in mosquitoes of California.
For more detailed descriptions of the above three projects and others on malaria vectors and the tick Boophilus microplus consult the following website: Mosquito Control Research Laboratory.
SpecialtyApplied and basic research on mosquitoes related to developing innovative strategies for their control
- Cornel, A.J., R.D. McAbee, J. Rasgon, M.A. Stanich, T.W. Scott, and M. Coetzee. 2003. Differences in extent of genetic introgression between sympatric Culex pipiens and Culex quinquefasiatus (Diptera:Culicidae) in California and South Africa . J. Med. Entomol. 40(1): 36-51.
- Cornel, A.J., M.A. Stanich, R.D. McAbee, and S. Mulligan. 2002. High level methoprene resistance in the mosquito Ochlerotatus nigromaculis (Ludlow) in Central California. Pest Mgmt. Sci. 58:791-798.
- Zheng, L., A.J. Cornel, R.Wang, H.Erfle, H.Voss, W.Ansorge, F.C. Kafatos, F.H. Collins. 1997. Quantitative trait loci for refractoriness of Anopheles gambiae to Plasmodium cynomologi B. Science 276:425-428.
- Cornel, A.J., M.Q. Benendict, C.S. Rafferty, A.J. Howells, and F.H. Collins. 1997. Transient expression of the Drosophila melanogaster cinnabar gene rescues eye color in the white eye (WE) strain of Aedes aegypti. Insect. Biochem. Molec. Biol. 27(12):993-997.